Malam Teater Kesenian 2016- Mythili (Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia)



This is not a review of any sort but mostly a write up on my experience in being a part of the Mythili stage play. So basically, I wanted to post this one week after the play was over as I didn't want to rush it because I wanted to cover everything. But now, I'm staring at my screen thinking what to write. Mostly because I have too much to write. Facing difficulties to string the words together. Grr. It may have taken 30 minutes to start but its okay. Leggoss.

Before I start, just a synopsis of the play. Mythili and Vasan are married. However,problems rise in their marriage when Mythili suspects that Vasan has an affair. Suddenly one day she's found dead. Who killed her?..... 
God, I suck at writing synopsis. Believe me, the actual play is much more interesting than my synopsis. Puiii dp. 

Anyhowwww, I've got to be honest here. When I gave my name for this play, I wasn't so sure. Like what character will I be given? What if I don't like it or what if I can't deliver it well? Plus, I had to work mostly with juniors who I wasn't so familiar with as most of my batchmates couldn't join this program. That also became a reason for me to not be so excited to be a part of this. There was one time I was like "Gahh. Do I really have to do this??". Mind you, this was at the beginning of the whole deal. Meaning before any practices or meetings began. I felt I gave too many excuses so I smacked myself and told myself to get it together and take this as a learning experience. I've got one more year in university and I'll have to make the most out of this. 

Let me tell you something. I'M SUPER GLAD I JOINED THIS. Why? Let me break it down for you. 

1. My character

My character started off as an evil sister who poisons my younger sister's mind into thinking that her husband is actually cheating on her. However, that didn't work out quite well. So we kept the personality and attached it to a hallucination that the main character( Mythili) sees. So basically, I was a character that poisons  Mythili's mind with negative thoughts and creates problem between her and her husband. I LOVED IT. Of course I'm nothing like that in real life which intrigued me even more to study how a character like this would act. I tried my best to portray it well and I really hope I did justice to it. But I HAD SO MUCH FUNNN. Love love loveeee this character. Sadly, mine had no name till the end so I was just know as the Hallucination Devil. I was like Lucifer in Supernatural when he taunted Sam but Dean couldn't see him. (Of course I have to add a SPN reference somewhere) 

2. Learning experiences.

My main aim before joining this program was to learn as much as possible. And I'm pretty sure I did. Acting in a live play is definitely on top of the list. A stage play means there are no second takes or looking at the script. You have to remember the script and be ready for any changes that might happen at that moment on the stage. Another fellow actor might forget their script and you'd have to back them up and the list goes on. 
Other than that, I learned to choreograph a contemporary dance and a simple dead-ghost-child( lolss) dance which I never thought I'd ever had to do in my life. It was crazy fun. Although I can't say the same for the dancers. I might have tortured them a little too much
(Sorry Banz, Dinesh neh and Puva) but its all good, we're still friends. Lol.
I also learned a tad bit on script writing, theater makeup, costume stitching, and theater lighting. It was an amazing learning experience and I hope those who worked with me had as much fun as I did. 

3. Discovering Myself

Throughout this process, I've discovered a whole lot about myself. First of all, when something that I care for is about to happen, I can't sleep. 3 days before the program, I couldn't sleep. Whenever my head hit the pillow, my mind would start replaying my dialogues or the dance steps or things that are yet to be settled. Collectively, I had about 10 hours of sleep for those 3 days. I couldn't eat also. For those 3 days, I ate adrenaline for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Harrrr. I vomited bile every morning. Gosh, the anxiety attack was bad. Never have I felt like this before. But I guess that means I cared bout giving my best. Right before the show, I couldn't utter a word and I'm usually someone who never shuts up. My hands were cold but it was sweating. You get the idea. I've performed on stage numerous times but this time, my anxiety sky rocketed. Special thanks to all those who cheered me up doing stupid dances and all, you guys rock. 

4. New friends!

Remember at the beginning of this post I said I was reluctant to join this program because I barely knew half of the people in it? Yeahhhh so that changed drastically. I had an amazingly fun time with all the members especially the casts! Goshhh, the things we did in the name of practice. The practices were definitely my favourite part of this whole process. I got to see the characters come to life and the story taking its form. The laughs we had together is etched to my brain and will remain there for years to come. Also, my juniors are all super friendly and made me feel not awkward at all. My batchmates who are always amazing and seniors who never miss a chance to make fun of me. It was a real fun experience which made me look forward to every practice where I know I'll be able to let loose and have a laugh or two. So when the program was over, I had this twinge of relief but at the same time the realization that I will definitely miss all of them. I can only experience this once, definitely. And that makes me a tad bit sad. 

Finally:
I could actually go on and on about all that I felt or went through throughout this program but I have decided to keep it short and sweet. Based on what I wrote, it may seem like we had a smooth sailing process but trust me we did not. Of course hurdles are always there but climbing over them is the real success. I learned a lot about myself and also people around me( just sitting around watching everyone lol). 
A small note to myself when I'm reading this 10 years from now, " Many difficulties were faced in this program. Many of which were hard and difficult but we all got through it. People betrayed and ridiculed us but we got through it. In the end, what mattered is that we all grew as humans and realised the true value of teamwork and hardwork. I had no regrets joining this. Overall, it was a GODDAMN success!"

For me, the journey is more important than the destination. 

Shoutout to my amazing PAH members, alumnis, friends, family, UKM peeps and all those who directly or indirectly helped us out. You guys ROCK! 

I will link the full video of the theater below. Watch it( you can skip the speeches itsokayy) haha. I'm the fabulous one lol joking I was ugly af. Lookout for the hallucination okayyy. But it's in Tamil so erm sorry to those who can't understand. 
#insidejoke
#vidivilakku #kutthuvilakku #neivilakku #avarummanushanthaane #jinggaaaa #okaysaab 

The full play

Music Video

Okay byeeeee


With a whole lot of love,
Dheephikha

Share:

2 comments

  1. I just want to give a quick advise to any one out there that is having difficulty in his or her relationship to contact Dr.Agbazara because he is the only one that is capable to bring back broken relationship or broken marriages within time limit of 48 hours. You can contact Dr.Agbazara by calling him on his mobile +2348104102662 or write him through his email at ( agbazara@gmail.com )

    ReplyDelete
  2. http://www.kenanga.unimas.my/

    ReplyDelete