Why people hate on Kabali?



"Kabali" just came out a few days back. It felt like thaipusam 2.0. Don't you agree with me? It felt like a global phenomenon where all Indians got together to celebrate the return of Thalaiva. But as we all have realized by now(due to the unnecessary amounts of memes), the movie has not been receiving good reviews. I was actually quite surprised. It wasn't a bad plot, it had an amazing cast and amazing music, Why was it not well received? So, I read every review I could find and watched as many review videos on YouTube eg: Prashant, Bosskey, Behindwoods etc in order to know what they hated so much about this.

Now, let me tell you what I found out. Based on the reviews given by these famous movie "experts", they didn't enjoy it due to the lack of "MASS" from Rajni sir. There was less action and less punch dialogues from him. His whole act was toned down and he seemed very tired and old. Some even said that they bought the tickets to watch Rajni sir being the SUPERSTAR that he is. The style and gethu was very much less. I also realised that they did not give two effs that the story was circulating on the issue of Malaysian Indians. Basically, they were very much focused on the entertainment aspect on the movie. The fact that there were not much funny scenes and mass dialogues and one hero miraculously killing 100 goons single handedly, upset them very much. Almost all the reviews said that it was draggy and boring.


NOW, let me tell you why I LOVED this movie. First of all, Rajni sir. We've seen him in numerous getups and as a mafia but never like this. He had a subtlety in him, his portrayal of Kabali was absolutely on point. He had a grace in his walk and talk. And he definitely showed us that he is an amazing actor who can not only deliver blood-pumping punch dialogues but can also bring out the emotional and vulnerable side of kabali. The scene where he meets his wife after a long time literally brought tears to my eyes. How many times have we seen him as a father on the big screen? I felt the way he executed his role as Yogi's father was beautiful. His acting was very real and not over exaggerated. It was casual and realistic and not forced. I get that many people expected a big fight scene with him against 100 goons but that would just not make sense. His character was a 65 year old gangster and I feel that Rajni sir executed it wonderfully and no one else could have done it.


The second thing is that how much  it relates to the Malaysian Indians. I was actually furious when I read the numerous reviews and barely any of them acknowledged the main point of the story which was about Malaysian Indians. And then I realised why they hated it so much. They couldn't relate to it. They did not understand it and therefore weren't able to receive the message that was in the movie. Whereas when I watched the movie, I was totally absorbed in it. I was relating everything back to how things really are and I was astounded by the detailing done by Ranjith. He nailed it. His research on Malaysian Indians was on point. From the slang, to the way we talk,the way we act until to the gangsterism in Malaysia. Every small detail Ranjith put in made the movie even better as it proceeded.


Thirdly, the casting. I felt that the casting was done amazingly. Each and every one of them, no matter how big or small their role was, played a huge part in weaving this story. From Kumudhavalli to Tony Lee, everyone nailed it. Oh I almost forgot, most of the review also stated their utmost dissatisfaction on the villain casting. Tony Lee didn't look villain-y enough it seems. I chuckled when I heard that. Honestly, must every movie be so stereotypical with a scary looking villain? Stereotypical'ah irunthalum perachanai, illaathiyum perachanai.  Ungalukku enna thaan venum? Just embrace the fact that Tony Lee ode munji'eh appadithaan. Just because his face doesn't look evil, doesn't mean he is not evil. Stupid.


Basically what I'm saying is, enjoy a movie for what it provides you and not what you expect it to provide to you. The story was not horrible. It had a good message and tremendous effort was put in it. Appreciation and applause is definitely in order. Imagine if Kabali was done by someone other than Rajni sir, what would your reaction be? Think about it, sleep on it and share this article. Magizhchi.


If you agree with me, share this. If you don't, then let me know why in the comments. K


With little bit of love,

Dheephikha

Share:

3 comments